El Mensajero Católico recently received seven awards from the Catholic Press Association for work published during 2012.
The CPA, which represents more than 600 Catholic publications in the United States and Canada, presented the awards during its annual convention in Denver June 19-21.
* Best Freestanding Online/Multi-Media Presentation of Photo Gallery or Slide Show: Tirado received an honorable mention for her slideshow of students dancing with Rochester Police officers during a Hispanic Heritage Month event.
* Best Personality Profile: Staff Writer Annette Jiménez won third place for her profile of Edwin Rivera, the first Hispanic elected to public office in Rochester.
* Best In-Depth Analysis: Jiménez won first place for her series of stories, "Programa alienta soluciones tranquilas" ("Program encourages peaceful solutions"), about Partners in Restorative Initiatives and Project HOPE.
"A very in-depth piece on how the community can reduce violence. This is the exact definition of analysis in reporting," the judges said.
* Best Lead Article: Jiménez received a third-place award for her article on the Rochester City School District’s program to inform and guide parents on how to be actively engaged in their children’s education.
"A good example of a policy issue that can be reviewed from a religious point of view," the judges said.
* Best Coverage of Immigration: Jiménez won second place for a body of work on the subject.
"Reporter Annette Jimenez integrated gut-wrenching personal anecdotes with thorough, balanced coverage of law enforcement, diplomacy, federal policy, and ministry responses," the judges said. "Four photographers vividly told their own stories. Superb, comprehensive coverage."
* Individual Excellence — Writer: Jiménez won third place for a body of work from 2012.
"Annette Jiménez knows her community well and works hard to provide meaningful coverage," the judges said. "Her article about the Dream Act of May 2012 is impressive because she was able to find people directly affected by the federal proposal regarding undocumented immigrants. She is an efficient and versatile reporter."
* General Excellence Publication: El Mensajero received an honorable mention in this category.
"Informative. This newspaper makes the effort to connect with parishioners in Rochester. This is a newspaper for them, about them and appears to be written by them."