Caseworkers from Catholic Charities agencies submitted the following examples of how proceeds from last year’s Christmas Appeal were used:
- A young mother who delivered her baby five weeks early received $50 to obtain diapers and formula.
- A single mother of four young children received $272 to prevent eviction while she awaited Social Security benefits after becoming injured on her job.
- A family with limited income received $80 to purchase a specialized baby formula for an infant with special health-care needs.
- A young man who lost his job when his company closed received $100 to purchase needed medicine for his heart condition.
*A single mother who is terminally ill with bone cancer received $50 to purchase a protein drink that was not covered by her health insurance.
- An expectant mother of a 7-year-old and a 3-year-old could not work due to doctor’s orders of bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. Due to her limited disability compensation income, she could not afford to pay past-due bills on her utilities, and received $508 to keep her utilities on.
- A married father of three works for a school district and his income is limited during the summer. He received $20 for gasoline, so he could return to work when school was again in session.